Monday, December 22, 2014

Beguner Korma - From my grandmother's kitchen

My grandmother is almost 90 years old and even now she insists on spending hours in the kitchen cooking up a feast when any of her grandkids visit. When we tell her that she should take it easy and relax, she says it gives her a lot of joy to watch us enjoy our food. I can only hope that when I am her age, I am that active.

I was visiting my grandma the last few days and by gosh, it was a feast every day! Every meal had at least two kinds of fish curry and two kinds of vegetable preparation. All curries are cooked using heaps of good quality mustard oil. She insists that mustard oil is good for you and will keep you healthy for years. I haven't researched the scientific backing to this claim but seeing as she is almost 90 and is fitter than me, I will take her word for it! The recipe I am sharing with you today is an eggplant curry called "Beguner Korma" that she learned from her mother, my great-grandmother who I called "Didi", who passed away 10 years ago. This recipe is very special to me. And not to mention, lip-smacking delicious!

Yield - Serves 2

Cooking Time - 40 Minutes

Bengali Eggplant Curry

Ingredients


1 large Eggplant, cubed
1 small Onion
1 inch Ginger
2-3 cloves Garlic
0.5 small Tomato
1-2 Tablespoons Yoghurt
6 Tablespoons Mustard Oil
1 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
Salt, to taste
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2-3 Green Cardamom
1 Bay Leaf
0.5 inch Cinnamon stick


Method


Heat oil in a wok and fry the cubed eggplant in batches.

Remove and set aside.


Add the green cardamoms, bay leaf and cinnamon in the hot oil. 


Add the sugar in.



Grind the onion, ginger and garlic together. When the whole spices start sputtering, add the onion, ginger and garlic mixture into the wok. Cook this for about 5 minutes. Add the turmeric, red chili powder and salt and cook for 5 more minutes till the onion cooks and the oil separates from it. Add the yoghurt and tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes stirring continuously.



Add some water and bring to a boil and add in the fried eggplants.



Cook it all together for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.



Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. There is a step to add sugar, however there is no sugar listed in the ingredients. Please clarify.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing it out! Omitted by mistake. I have updated it in the ingredients list. Add about a teaspoon of sugar. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Tasty Query - recipes search engine
Back to Top